Show simple item record Perizzolo, Paulo Fernando Dalla Costa, Elis Regina Ribeiro, Andrezza Wolowski Spies, Fernanda Sá Ribeiro, Marta Osório Dias, Claudio Renato Rodrigues Unis, Gisela Silva, Pedro Eduardo Almeida da Gomes, Harrison Magdinier Suffys, Philip Noel Rossetti, Maria Lucia Rosa 2013-08-15T20:29:15Z 2013-08-15T20:29:15Z 2012
dc.identifier.citation PERIZZOLO, Paulo Fernando et al. Characteristics of multidrug-resistant mycobacterium tuberculosis in southern Brazil. Tuberculosis, v. 92, p. 56-59, 2012. Disponível em: <>. Acesso em: 15 set. 2012. pt_BR
dc.description.abstract A major threat to tuberculosis (TB) control programs is the emergence of drug resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains that cause TB that cannot be cured by standard anti-TB drug regimens. Because few data exist on MDR-TB in this region of the country, we performed an epidemiologic study that combined conventional and molecular analysis of MDR-TB cases from Rio Grande do Sul (RS) that were diagnosed in this period and included cases that were under treatment with second line drug schemes. Included were 121 MDR cases and sequencing of rpoB and katG showed that 106 (87.6%) strains were mutated in rpoB and 97 (80.2%) in katG. Spoligotyping demonstrated that the LAM genotype was predominant (n ¼ 70, 57.8%) and included the largest group composed by 22 (18.1%) strains with the LAM5 ST93 genotype. Other main genotypes belonged to the families T (n ¼ 22, 18.2%), U family (n ¼ 16, 13.2%), Haarlem (n ¼ 5, 4.1%) and X (n ¼ 1, 0.8%). Genotyping by IS6110-RFLP analysis showed 51 distinct fingerprints, 38 (31.4%) of these observed only once and the other 13 patterns being shared among the rest of the isolates (n ¼ 83, 68.6%). Among the 22 strains that were LAM5 ST93, only two had different IS6110-RFLP genotypes. In conclusion, there exists a high degree of M. Tuberculosis genotype clustering among MDR-TB cases in Rio Grande do Sul. Moreover, we observed a large MDR-TB outbreak. pt_BR
dc.language.iso eng pt_BR
dc.rights restrict access pt_BR
dc.subject Tuberculosis pt_BR
dc.subject Molecular epidemiology pt_BR
dc.subject Multidrug-resistance pt_BR
dc.subject Brazil pt_BR
dc.title Characteristics of multidrug-resistant mycobacterium tuberculosis in southern Brazil pt_BR
dc.type article pt_BR

Files in this item

This item appears in the following Collection(s)


  • FAMED – Artigos publicados em periódicos
  • Show simple item record